Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Changing of Title

My latest thrill comes from changing the titles on wikiHow articles that need to be fixed. Generally, there is a spelling error, or a much better (and more concise) way to say the same thing. Why is this so much fun?

After I pondered over why I "discovered" this activity, I found that I enjoy changing readers' inital impression. The title truly says it all. When something is misspelled or the title is way too long and mucked up, the reader may not care to keep reading, even if the article is what they're looking for. In addition, a good article may be misrepresented by its title. This leads to all sorts of confusion. The most zealous editor may mark the whole thing for deletion. The more conservative might just dismiss the article entirely, without desiring to fix it up. But if the title is accurate and has potential, a good editor might come along and do some work.

As I'm sure I'll mention many times in the future, there are many activities one may do. This one just happens to catch my eye during the week, when I feel like I need to contribute in some way, although I may have lost my how-to muse.

No comments: